HAVE YOU EVER…
Been working in Outlook and in your busy frenzy accidentally delete a Contact or Task or Calendar entry? Where does it go?
The deleted items go to the…Deleted Items folder!
BUT I LOOKED IN DELETED ITEMS AND IT’S NOT THERE!
The trick with Calendar entries, contacts and tasks is that they end up in the Deleted Items folder sorted by the date that they were created. So, think way back to when you first created that contact…yeah, I wouldn’t remember either…
THERE IS AN EASIER WAY…
Follow these steps to sort your deleted items folder by date deleted and watch those deleted items come bubbling back up to the top:
While in the Deleted items folder click on View –> View Settings
2. Click on the ‘Columns…’ Button
3. Click the drop down under ‘Select available columns from:’ and chose the option for ‘Date/Time Field’
4. Next, select the ‘Modified’ option and click on ‘Add->’ to move it to the ‘Show these columns…’ section
5. With ‘Modified’ still highlighted. Click on ‘Move Up’ to bring it to the top of the list.
Then click OK.
6. Back in the Advanced View Settings window, click on ‘Sort…’
7. Under ‘Select available fields from:’ choose Date/Time Fields in the drop down.
8. Select ‘Modified’ under the ‘Sort items by’ drop down and click OK.
9. Voila! Your deleted items folder is now sorted by deleted date. You should be able to find and recover your Contact, Task or Calendar Entry.
OKAY I FOUND IT. NOW, HOW DO I GET THESE BACK TO THEIR ORIGINAL LOCATION?
Once you found your deleted item, follow these steps to bring them home. (Example is for a contact, but the principle is the same for all items)
Right Mouse Click on the item and from the menu chose ‘Move’ -> ‘Other Folder…’
2. Scroll down until you see Contacts. If necessary, click the arrow (>) to expand and choose the contact list that the contact belongs to.
For Calendar entries, choose Calendar, for tasks, chose Tasks
3. Click OK and your item is restored!